4/3/14

This Is My Name FOREVER - 3

Subject: I AM WHO I AM







Exodus 3:14

God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” 

Scholars have done a lot of research on this verse and it is generally recognized that this statement explains the meaning of God’s Name. “I AM WHO I AM” is not a name as this is a sentence.

In Hebrew, the statement is “Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh”. It is translated as “I am who I am” or “I will be who I will be.” Both of these tenses indicate the timelessness or eternal nature of God’s Being.

“I AM WHO I AM” explains to us that God is the Existing One, He exists eternally. God is the ultimate source of all existence. 
  • Often time, when we read this passage, we stop the reading at Exodus 3:14. 
  • Exodus 3:15 continues the explanation, with “Moreover ...” to answer Moses' question in Exodus 3:13, “What is his name?”
  • God’s reply is in Exo 3:15 - Yahweh is His Name Forever. 
  • Sandwiched in between the two verses is the explanation of what His Name means. 
  • He is the Self-existent One. He alone is self existing as His existence depends on no other. 

Yahweh is the Eternal God who is sending Moses to lead the Israelites on a journey of faith and deliverance from Egypt. Moses is instructed to tell the Israelites Yahweh is God’s Name forever, a Name to be remembered throughout all generations.


No comments:

Post a Comment